CC Willow art store

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Made My Bed

The emphasis is on the "pull"  <cynful grin> Hint; This is NOT making a bed; helps the reading if you have an extra pair of hands to help the "pulling".


Made My Bed

 

I make my bed every morning
            After I discipline my body with 2 miles of exercise
            And after my husband rises.
A  habit cultivated, I cannot leave
            For the day until my bed is made. 

Exhausted, I return to my bed
            & pull off the 12 year old blankets
Then straighten the wrinkles out of the sheets
            & pull their patterns flat.
Pick up the musty lavender velour, spread
            & pull its corners ‘til arranged
Letting its heavy sides cover the full bed
            & pull its sides until
                        Almost reaching the ground
                        Almost completely covering my bed frame.
And then the bedspread falls, arranging corners
            & pull down the sides until
Lilacs fall off my be, their flat patterns float
            & pull down & over.
I then gather the dark curtains that make my headboard
            & pull them back, morning light growing in them,
& then the pillows. I gather them
            & pull & plump & fluff then stand them
Arranging them until my bed looks
like a magazine cover
that would catch someone’s eye
at a newsstand until they reach over
            & pull it off the shelf to examine;
A flat picture that hints of rest & comfort
            & pulls you out of reality.
 
A habit cultivated, I cannot leave
            For the day until my bed is made. 

Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment